Friday, January 2

carrot cake cookies

I was reading Sweet and Natural's blog the other day and saw her post on Carrot Cake! Yum! Who doesn't love carrot cake? This reminded me of one of my favorite cookie recipes--Carrot Cake Cookies!

Here's my recipe for delicious and healthy(er--the are a little high in sugar so they're still not an everyday thing):

1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup Smart Balance Omega Oil
1 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3 cups old fashioned oats, divided
1/2 cup soy milk
2 Tbs whole flaxseeds
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups of flour (any combo of white and wheat flour)
About a cup of shredded carrots

Mix together the applesauce, oil, two sugars and the soy milk with a hand mixer.
In a very dry blender place 2 cups of oats and the flaxseeds and blend until very fine (about 3 minutes). Dump that into the applesauce mixture along with the rest of the ingredients and mix well.

Place by tablespoon-fulls onto a greaed baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes. Makes about 45-50 tiny cookies (which is the size I like them).

These are great for game nights like my husband, Dale, and I had last night
(with Settlers of Catan)
Or after a day of playing in the snow like today.
They're a delicious and healthy twist on carrot cake and oatmeal cookies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi - thanks for the comment on my blog! Your cookies look delish! As for using unrefined sweeteners...Since you used brown and white sugar as the sweetener here, I'd just try substituting an unrefined sugar in their place - cup for cup. I used Sucanat for the first time last week and loved it - I'll be doing a blog post about it soon. I bet it would would work great in your cookies!

P.S. I recently discovered Settlers of Catan and am hooked! I got it for the bf for Christmas!